She's tempestuous. She's tyrannical. She's three. Halley's cousin Sputnik is an Astroblast alumna who can talk both to grown-ups and toddlers. She manipulates her parents, shows off for strangers -- and when she comes to play, the babies run for cover. "You stupid babies!" she bellows as she bullies them into playing by her rules. "You don't know anything!" she screams as she terrorizes them with "true" stories from her imagination. Even worse, she forces them to sit still for her off-key, lyrically mangled musical numbers. Beneath her cold, hard exterior beats the heart of a true spoiled brat. But however cleverly devilish her schemes, somehow Sputnik always seems to get the worst of it. - Astroblast Description from Klasky Csupo
Sputnik Vivian may not be as big a brat as she was when she was 3, but she still has a way of getting her cousins Halley to Radar to do her bidding. She also has a great deal of influence over her pre-school pal Harold, who is more than eager to do whatever she asks him. Of course, Frogerina Jones is not so easy to sway, and is often a thorn in Sputnik's side when it comes to her plans to manipulate situations to her advantage. Sputnik has mellowed a bit, however. She is not above asking even Frogerina for advice in the realms of social climbing, and has even tried her hand at being a mentor for a young child (to further her own interests, of course!) Sputnik still has delusions of grandeur when it comes to her talent as a singer, and manages to find ways to torture her fellow students with her off-key ballads. -Astroblast: All Grown Up!: Description from Klasky Csupo
Sputnik is the bratty daughter of Matt and Lillian Vivian and the mean, rude and ridiculously spoiled older cousin of Halley and Radar Vivian despite her cuteness and beauty. Sputnik's often seen bullying and making fun of her cousins and their friends. Since she's older than the babies, who can only communicate with each other and Sputnik, Sputnik herself can communicate with the adults as well as the other Rugrats, which she uses to her advantage most of the time. When the character Frogerina Jones was introduced, she was soon favored among the babies, causing Sputnik to start a rivalry with her. She'll say and/or do anything to get what she wants--however, Sputnik's bratty behavior often gets the best of her, which results in the adults (usually her parents and/or her Aunt Olivia and Uncle Matthew) punishing her.
Cookies are Sputnik's favorite food, and she refuses to eat most "healthy" foods. Even though Sputnik's often very mean to the babies deep down she likes them.
- Given her mean and bossy personality, Sputnik has very few friends. Frogerina, Cynthia, Fluffy, and Harold are the closest things that she has to friends.
- Sputnik even says once that Frogerina's the only "grownup friend" she has.
- Even though Matt and Lillian really do love Sputnik and spoil her a lot, they don't pay very much attention to her and are generally too busy with work to spend any actual "quality time" with their daughter (more so in Lillian's case than Matt's).
Sputnik is always referring to the babies as "just babies" and to herself as an adult, despite being only a year older than Jet, two years older than Halley, Jade and the twins, and only three years older than Radar--in fact, Radar's the only babie who's technically "just a baby," as all the others are technically toddlers like Sputnik and Frogerina are.
Astroblast: All Grown Up! Edit
In the spin-off series All Grown Up!, 13 year old Sputnik's personality has clearly made some minor edits to itself as a part of her maturity and beauty; she goes after boys more often (in Astroblast, though, she was shown to have crushes on a few toddler boys), and has outgrown the habit of carrying Cynthia around with her all the time (although in one episode Astroblast: All Grown Up! Sputnik desperately tried to get Cynthia back because Lillian gave her away). Still, a few parts of her former personality remain: she's still very mean, spoiled, and bossy, but to a much lesser extent than she previously was. She and Frogerina are still rivals, but they're more like frenemies than actual enemies, but Sputnik is obviously still very envious of Frogerina, mainly because of her being more talented than Sputnik at most things (especially singing).
- While Sputnik was portrayed as having a terrible singing voice in the original series, in the spin-off, it's shown that Sputnik does have a decent voice, but she's better at singing in a group than as a soloist.
Sputnik is a pretty pig. The character wears a purple dress, blue and green polka-dotted tights, pink socks, and purple sneakers. She wore a diaper over her tights during season one. She also has pink hair, always worn in two pigtails tied with purple ribbons.
In Astroblast: All Grown Up! Sputnik wears a bright red shirt with purple shorts and dark purple slides (no socks) In season 1. In Interview With a Campfire, she appears with a Bright blue shirt,red paints and brown sneakers. In season 2-5 she often wears a Bright orange shirt,Green/Blue shorts and violet sandle's sometime's she wears her usual trademark colors. She also has pink hair that she wears in a variety of natural styles throughout the series.
Sputnik has appeared in a lot of episodes in both Astroblast and Astroblast: All Grown Up!. Her first appearance was in Halley's First Birthday. Her last appearance in the Astroblast series was in the episode Fountain of Youth, with her final appearance in Astroblast: All Grown Up! being Petition This!.
- Sputnik is the only toddler to remain an only child throughout the franchise.
- Halley and Radar are siblings.
- Jet and Jade are step siblings.
- Comet and Venus are fraternal twins.
- Frogerina has two older brothers and an older sister.
- Timmy McNulty has four younger brothers.
- One of the few times where Sputnik's expressed a desire to have a sibling was in The Stork and the only time where she's genuinely saddened by the fact that she's an only was in Sister Act. Every other time, Sputnik usually expresses her thankfulness on being an only child.
- Sputnik is one in three of the main Astroblast characters to have the camera viewed from inside her mouth in Astroblast: All Grown Up!. The other two are Radar and Bruce.
- Sputnik is in 7th grade at school.
- She hates coconuts, baked apples and spinach.
- In the life-size doll versions of Sputnik, she is shown to have brown eyes. However, in the newspaper comic strip, she was revealed to have blue eyes.
- In Astroblast: All Grown Up! Sputnik has been seen as a 4-5, 6 and 9 year old.
- Sputnik has grown less mean towards the kids in Astroblast: All Grown Up!
- This could be attributed to the fact that after the babies grew up, they were able to tell their parents that Sputnik was being mean.
- Although she is not seen in the episode, Sputnik is mentioned by Halley near the very end of Golden Boy (Astroblast: All Grown Up!).
- Sputnik and Frogerina are the only main characters to have their last appearance in 2007.
- Sputnik, Jet, Comet, Venus and Halley call the babies younger than Sputnik "babies/toddlers/big babies/dumb babies" and Radar a "baby baby" because he can't walk or talk yet.
- Sputnik tells stories to scare the babies, claiming each story she tells are not true but false.
- She wanted to be a teacher when she grew up but after Miss Jenny told her that it was hard work changed her mind and Sputnik said she wanted to be a singer or a movie star instead.
- She always sings loud and off key except for when singing Toyland and Bad Girls.
- In the Astroblast: All Grown Up episode Lucky 13, Savannah throws a Spring Fling party on the same day as Sputnik's birthday bash, suggesting that Sputnik is born in the spring.
- Sputnik's birthday party was said to fall on a Saturday.
- Sputnik is secretly jealous of the babies and Frogerina.
- Because her parents don't spend enough time with her Sputnik is lonely.
- Deep down Sputnik loves Halley and Radar.
- Sputnik is the only toddler to be called her real name, not a nickname.
- She is voiced by E.G. Daily in the "Sing and Swing Sputnik" doll.
- Sputnik stars in her very own video game titled Astroblast: All Grown Up!: Express Yourself.
- The episode "Ladies' Man (Ladies' Boy)" reveals that Sputnik has strong feelings for Harold.
- In the episode "Frogerina Goes Bad Lite", Sputnik admits to Frogerina that she cares what Brianna thinks of her and even says that what she does to get her attention is "pathetic".
- Sputnik calls Halley and the rest of the gang by their last names a lot.
- Throughout Astroblast: "All Grown Up!", Sputnik is shown to be a persistent woman who defies all the odds. We can see her persistence in "Lost at Sea", "What's Love Got to do With It?","R.V. Having Fun Yet?" and "In the Family's Way".
- Sputnik's relationship with Halley as children is identical to Ben's and Miriam's when they were younger.
- Sputnik was inspired to add contrast to the babies' character.